Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Modus Operandi: Studying Effectively

Of course, everyone has his own mode of studying. To be honest, I never felt like I had to study half as much in high school as I did in college. High school didn't prepare me for that much, though I did manage my time especially well.

Here are some techniques that I've seen or helped me:

  • Flashcards (e.g. vocabulary/phrases for biology, languages, business-related)
  • Lots and lots of practice problems (e.g. physics, mechanics, accounting)
  • Memorization (including mneumonic devices)
  • Creating powerpoints to allow you to teach someone younger everything for which you're accountable on the exam (being able to teach someone else ensures that you will know the material)
  • Lots of praying :) and lucky charms (people at Purdue rub Lincoln's nose in the Purdue Memorial Union)
  • Having study groups that review past materials (e.g. old exams, past homeworks, and past quizzes) or just a group that talks through all the topics and makes sure than everyone understands
I have a lot of common sense things about things not to do, namely:
  • Don't cheat (duh).
  • Don't give up the night before your final because you've procrastinated studying and go for a run. Don't be an idiot. I know someone who did this and was astounded at how dumb some people are. Instead, clear your head by taking 10 deep breaths, covering your face with your hands and breathing deeply for a few seconds, or go for a cup of coffee.
    Some people go for a smoke, but I know you won't.
Just practice good judgment. If you're not sure what to do, call me. If you don't have my number, then call someone who loves you and ask them what you should do.

No comments:

ShareThis