Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Freshman Food (and Avoiding Gaining Weight)

Freshman year is usually filled with (groan) weight gains and dining hall food.

If you are weight conscious, this buffet style is usually a killer unless you go in knowing that you can control your portion size.

I think I scared people when I would carry 3-4 bowls of noodle soup, but hey! I'm Vietnamese and those bowls were tiny! I became good friends with the people at Ford Dining Hall that worked in the 3-4-5 [Asian] Market. I even keep in touch with one who moved to Japan, and I always, ALWAYS (even as an upperclassman) scouted for Chicken Udon days. Shameful, but TRUE.

Go eat with at least one friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly believe that people are inclined to eat more when they are by themselves. When you have someone to talk to, you take more time to eat, but you allow your stomach more time to "let you know" that it feels full. Everyone (ok most people) has heard of the 20 minute gap between eating and feeling full [true? I'm not sure.], so try to go with your roommate or a friend.

If you're eating alone (which is perfectly fine! No shame!!), do the bad thing and bring a book - or at least, distract yourself. You don't have to count how many times you chew, but when you're getting food, go for about 3/4 amount that you actually want to get.

I didn't gain the freshman fifteen!

No comments:

ShareThis