Friday, March 6, 2009

Keep a "soft copy" of all documents in your e-mail

Purdue's webmail is less than desirable (so, apparently, is IU's), so I set up for an automatic forwarding to my G-mail account (which is more aesthetically pleasing, allows me to send from my Purdue e-mail address, and has 2 GB of storage).

You may type up a paper and print it out in your room, but I was always frugal about this and printed things out from the computer lab before going to class to turn it in.  At Purdue there are print quotas anyways.

But sometimes the printer broke down, and I didn't have time to go anywhere else, so I just e-mailed my professor the paper instead. 

I used to just upload the papers into My Drafts and delete them once the paper was turned in, but I found that it was better just to send them to myself (the subject being the class and title of the paper) so that revisions later would be easily accessible, and I didn't have to go home to retrieve the file.

Microsoft Skyline also offers 25 GB online storage space, so you can use this if you want to upload files.

Each course had its own file in my computer, and at the end of the semester, I would zip each one up and throw it into my external hard drive.  Then every year, I would have a fresh palette to begin organizing my files again. 

I also organized things by date. Yes, I know that Windows allows you to do this wich a click of a button, but I didn't like the way it looked. I named all my documents according to the year, month, then day:

2009.02.11 College 101

You don't have the follow my system exactly, but I just want to tell you what worked for me. Organization is Key.

No comments:

ShareThis