Wednesday, March 25, 2009

When you're sick, take care of yourself!!

One of the most unappreciated things that college students do is spread their viruses/bacterial infections because they don't want to go to the doctor and go to class. They spread all their nice germs everywhere.

I'm not saying that you have to swab every place you sit down with disinfectant wipes (in fact, this encourages the growth of bacteria that will become resistant to the disinfectant). However, I am saying that you should, when ill, take care of yourself:

  • drink plenty of fluids
  • e-mail your professors (in the smaller classes [in larger classes, most professors don't really care]) that you will not be able to attend
  • ask someone to pass that day's notes for you
  • Purdue has a student health center (PUSH), and it's free to go in [plus you get a pass saying you were ill] and consult a doctor
  • eat something hearty (ice cream makes a sore throat happy; so does jell-o)
Some notes:
  • I have heard nasty rumors about PUSH (though I have never been told that I might have cancer when it turned out to be appendicitis), so tread with caution. Get a second opinion if you are not sure. [There was one time that I had food poisoning, and the doctor told me I may have meningitis, despite the fact that I had already gotten the vaccination AND knew what had made me sick.]
  • Be honest with your doctor (be prepared to give the date of your last period and answer questions about your sexual habits)
  • Remember that Gummy Vites (which are awesome) count as medication.
LAST REMINDER

Please don't try to infect your classmates with whatever you have.
Stay home and get that quick recovery!

No comments:

ShareThis