Saturday, March 14, 2009

Do Research

Regardless if you're studying engineering, biology, environmental science, classics, or accounting, I would highly recommend trying to find a research position under a professor at your school.

I was a genetics major, so of course there was plenty of labs to apply to. I even participated in the iGEM competition (alas, I digress).

I learned so much!

Things off the top of my head:
  • general workings of a lab
  • proper and improper lab techniques
  • working with other researchers
  • dealing with the inevitable 'red tape'
  • learned and applied advanced concepts
  • time management
  • learning how to search databases that professionals/professors use to apply to your research
  • got used to reading primary literature (this term is used to describe literature that is published in scientific journals directly written by the researchers) --> which led to me starting my Science-related blog
It really was a rewarding experience and quite an eye-opener. I felt myself being driven to do the research because it had so much meaning behind it. If you want to take a look, you're welcome to look at the lab website.

The options include getting paid or doing it for credit, and I did the latter.

I also learned a lot about myself. I thought I was capable of anything and everything if I applied myself to it, but I found out that I could never be a doctor after working in a mouse lab. Frankly, I am weak sauce. :(

No comments:

ShareThis